Last week I spent some time in the library writing a paper...it's probably the first time I've tried to study there...ever...I think I found out why...So, I'm sitting in the "quiet area" of the library working on my paper listening to some tunes on my laptop when my phone, which I thought was on silent, began to ring. Now, because of my headphones I didn't hear my phone for a little bit. So...the entire quiet area got to "enjoy" a little Beyonce while I jammed out to my own music. Finally, I realized my phone was ringing. It was a call from work that I had to take. So, instead of packing up all my stuff or walking away from my belongings I just took the call. I don't have a very good whisper voice...in fact, I don't really have a whisper voice. As I talked through the issue that I had to handle I began to notice a gentleman giving me very angry looks. I hung up the phone and went back to writing my paper.
Now, I thought I turned my phone on silent, however, I did not. So my phone began to ring. This time I got it before anyone got to hear too much of Beyonce singing. This call I didn't need to take so I just silenced my phone and gave the token "Sorry" look to those sitting closest to me. This time I made sure to turn my phone on silent!
I got a voice mail from my desk phone and needed to listen to it. However, my voicemail that comes from my desk phone to my cell phone plays on speaker phone. So, yes, it was another loud sound coming from my area. As I struggled to turn the voice mail off the gentleman that had glared at me before, resumed the angry looks.
As I got re situated I accidentally unplugged my headphones...so the quiet area got another musical treat! Unfortunately, I don't think they viewed it that way...I know that the angry gentleman did not view my music as a "treat". He viewed me as something/someone he loathed.
After this last sound mishap I decided the library is not the place for me. I relocated to a louder space on campus where my phone could ring, I could talk, and have musical treats played for everyone.
I'm pretty sure the angry gentleman was glad to see me go.


1 comment:
The No "Shhhh" Zone was made for people like you and me (:
Post a Comment